By Yannis Moralis
Acrylic on canvas, 80Χ80 cm.
Inv. No.: P-15
Since 2010, this painting does
Born at Arta (Epirus),
Yannis Moralis studied
painting in the School for Fine Arts, Athens (1931-1936) with Dimitris
Geraniotis, Costas Parthenis and Umbertos Argyros and etching with
a scholarship from the Academy of Athens (1937) he studied mosaics and
frescos in Rome. Subsequently he attended lessons on painting
fresco in Paris, at the
École des Beaux Arts and on
mosaics at the École des Arts et
Métiers. He had presented
his work in many solo and
group exhibitions both in Greece and abroad, having had his first
one-man show in Athens (1959). He had
realized a series of engravings and book illustrations and had designed
the stage scenery and costumes of many theater and dancing performances.
He had also created a number of mural decorations.
He had been awarded with the Painting Award of the Pan-Hellenic
Exhibition (1940) and the
Gold Medal of the Munich International
In 1947 he was elected
professor of the Preparatory Workshop of the School of Fine Arts,
Athens and in 1957 professor of the Workshop for Painting of that same
He had been named Commander of the Royal
Order of Phoenix (1965) and
of the Order of Honour (1999).
This particular painting belongs
to the period of abstract geometry in his work. Yannis Moralis passed away in
Reflections upon Greek Contemporary Painting, The Cangelaris